Re: dirstamp and other mysteries

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: dirstamp and other mysteries
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 17:33:53 +0000

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Stefano Lattarini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> IMHO the correct (and certainly most simple) thing to do in this
> situation would be to provide an install-hook that either:
>
>  1. add proper symlinks to the installed docs, so that they are
>     available also the name you desire; or
>  2. rename the docs after the install, so that the are available
>     *only* by the name you desire;
>
> i.e, for the first case, something like this (untested!):
>
>  install-data-hook:
>        cd $(DESTDIR)$(docdir) && $(LN_S) stow.html manual.html
>  uninstall-hook:
>        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/manual.html
>
> or, for the second case, something like this (untested as well!):
>
>  install-data-hook:
>        cd $(DESTDIR)$(docdir) && mv -f stow.html manual.html
>  uninstall-hook:
>        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/manual.html

Thanks a lot for the reply Stefano!  This is certainly a much more
elegant approach than mine, so I have adopted it.  But as you can see
from my follow-up post to the original:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/13186

there is still the significant problem caused by doc/.dirstamp which
cannot be included in the distribution, thereby undesirably forcing a
rebuild of doc/stow.pdf even though the one in the distribution is
perfectly good enough.

This is a complete showstopper for me because I cannot make a new
official release of GNU Stow where `make install' only works if you
have texinfo installed!

Short of trying to decipher handle_texinfo_helper() in the automake
script, I am completely stuck and would be hugely grateful for any
help.

Thanks again,
Adam