Re: Merging the msvc branch into maint

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Merging the msvc branch into maint
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:25:06 +0100

On 12/22/2011 10:54 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
> Stefano Lattarini skrev 2011-12-22 09:41:
>> On 12/22/2011 08:26 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
>>
>>> Since the msvc branch has been merged into both branch-1.11 and master,
>>> it seems natural to also merge it into maint. No?
>>>
>> I'd rather not.  First, it wouldn't be useful, since we do 1.11.x maintenance
>> releases from branch-1.11 only, we plan to do the next 1.12 release from
>> master, and both of these branches already contain the features from msvc.
>
> I'm ok with that.  However, ...
>
> [SNIP good explanation]

I've verified what you said by experimenting with a fresh automake.git clone,
and
indeed you are right.  So sorry for the confusion, and thanks for correcting me.

Still, even without the merge conflicts I had (erroneously) predicted, a serious
problem would remain with the msvc->maint merge, that is ...

>> ... worse, the code in maint would end up having a behaviour more similar to
>> that of the next major version than to that of the next maintenance version.
>> We could backport the hacks for 1.11.2 into maint, and confuse the
>> already-too-messy automake history even more.  Neither of these two
>> possibility
>> should particularly appealing to me, given that in the end they do not offer
>> any real advantage anyway.
>
> This is a conclusion from your above faulty assumption, I believe,

It seems to me that the part of my argumentations quoted above is still correct;
could you explain in more details why do you think it is wrong?  Thanks.

> But it was just a suggestion. If you don't want it, then I won't insist.

Regards,
  Stefano