Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:09:23 +0900

Bill Sacks <address@hidden> writes:
> The dependency issue that Jeff raised is not a problem for us, since
> we have a script to determine Fortran 90 dependencies.
>
> I'm not sure that it will work to have a separate library of the
> user-added code, since we don't know ahead of time what dependencies
> there will be between existing code and the user-added code.
>
> Your other suggestions are helpful. We'll give this some more thought.

I think the main thing to remember is that most traditional make
facilities are still available, should automake's higher-level
constructs not suffice, and the two can usually co-exist reasonably
well.

So whatever you did before for user-contributed stuff may well work
perfectly fine in Makefile.am (maybe with a few tweaks).

-miles

--
Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a
man's head.