Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?

From: Bill Sacks
Subject: Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:16:02 -0700

Thank you all for your very helpful thoughts over the last day, especially to
Miles for the example -- which looks quite promising! -- and Stefano for all
your thoughts. I haven't had time to parse everything in detail yet, but I
wanted to reply to let you know how much I appreciate your help!

Just to clarify / confirm a couple of points that have been raised:

>> This sort of thing is already well supported by Automake via Makefile
>> includes.  But it does require that automake be executed again.
>
> Right, my intent is something that _doesn't_ require that, which can
> be handled entirely by the configure script.
>
> [That's more or less the whole point of this thread, right?]

Right: we're trying to find a solution that does not require users to run
automake / autoconf / etc.

> with this rule:
>
>  $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) -DIM_STUUPD=1 $<
>
> you are losing some important features offered by automake -- most
> notably, the automatic dependency tracking and the configurable verbosity
> specification (silent-rules).

The loss of dependency tracking is not a big deal for us: most of our code is
Fortran 90, for which automake doesn't generate dependencies anyway, and we can
continue to use our own tool for building dependency lists.

Finally, to confirm: yes, we are assuming gnu make already, so introducing more
gnu make-specific features isn't too bad.

This all makes me think that Miles's solution might work for us, but I'll have
to look at it more closely in the next couple of days.

Thanks again,
Bill