Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:36:36 +0100

Hi Nick.

On 01/19/2012 09:27 PM, Nick Bowler wrote:

> [SNIP]
>
> Interestingly, if you actually stick a line exactly like the above into
> your Makefile.am, Automake will actually do "The Right Thing™" and
> creates the .Po stub as if you had actually specified the source file
> normally.  Presumably you'd be relying on totally unsupported internal
> behaviour of Automake in this case, though. :)

If you feel like writing a complete example of how to (ab)use this feature
in practice, so that a user can add source files at make time and have
automatic dependency tracking work nonetheless, that would make a great
addition to the automake manual and testsuite.  Otherwise I'll try to cook
up an example myself in the next days (no promise though).

Best regards,
  Stefano