Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:57:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Hi Bob, sorry for the delay.

On 02/19/2012 07:55 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
I am again bit by automake not being able run the test suite on systems
with bounded command line length.  Up to automake 1.11.2 I was able to
apply a patch by Ralf Wildenhues.

Which patch are you referring to exactly?

This one: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2010-09/msg00068.html

With 1.11.3 the implementation is totally different and the patch has no hope
of applying.

How does this later patch of mine fares?

 <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7868#31>

I will check when I have time.

Caveat: it works for GNU make only, and it's *really ugly*.  So ugly that I
don't
feel like applying it to automake proper.

A GNU make dependency would be a real problem. A dependency on a properly-working standard make would not be such a problem.

"Again" is not the correct word here -- automake, either patched or not,
has *never* been able to run arbitrarily large test suites.  Still, recent
changes might have unintentionally reduced the maximal "testsuite size"
automake is able to handle, and we'd want to fix that.  How "big" is the
testsuite you are referring to concretely?

I have not run into any problems when using Ralf's patch, but it apparently does not address all issues so Ralf backed it out.

My test suite is pretty slim at the moment. About 610 tests (used to be about 1200) which expand to a list of tests of at least 17903 bytes when builddir == srcdir, or 36813 bytes with one of my typical build configurations with builddir != srcdir.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn