Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:52:58 +0100

[re-adding the relevant automake bug in CC]

Hi Peter, thanks for chiming in.

On 02/27/2012 12:15 PM, Peter Rosin wrote:

> I *think* the environment and the command line shares space (approx 64kB,
> I repeat *think* here, I don't know the details off the top of my head, Cygwin
> isn't affected since it uses the cygwin DLL to communicate this stuff between
> cygwin processes using normal ipc mechanisms).  If I'm right, reducing the
> command line length for a process might sufficiently elevate the limit, even
> if it isn't eliminated.

So, basically, on MSYS, a:

  $ make TESTS="..."

invocation reduces the size available for the command lines of the make
recipes, because the value of TESTS that gets exported in the environment
eats away space that could be used by those command lines?  Oh joy ...

Anyway, if we now reintroduce Ralf's patch, we will have a good explanation
of why it actually works.

Thanks,
  Stefano