Re: [rfc] Antimake

From: Marko Kreen
Subject: Re: [rfc] Antimake
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 21:19:29 +0200

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 01:08:01PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Actually, my hack was even more generic, and allowed turnkey custom
> definition of arbitrary build modes.
>
> BUILDMODES=prod
>
> was the default.
>
> BUILDMODES=prod debug
>
> was the release+debug build. A rule foreach-ed over BUILDMODES,
> eval-ing a rule with each word as a parameter, and generating target
> rules using $(1)_CFLAGS, $(1)_CXXFLAGS, i.e. prod_CFLAGS,
> debug_CFLAGS, and so on. So, someone could define a custom build
> mode called "funky", define funky_CFLAGS, et al, and produce a set
> of binary targets built with the funky flags, in addition to the
> stock release and debug compilation options.

That's sounds pretty nice, it seems to be really useful for situations
where you need to build for different arches, 64/32-bit or simply
with different optimizaion flags.  I already have urge to implement
it for Antimake too.

Except, the sane part of my mind orders me to think that Antimake
is not written in general programming language in "GNU Make language",
which means any additonal features need to be dealt really carefully.

It already does target copying for embedded subdirs, so perhaps
that aspect can be generalized a bit.

Another thing it contains is "Libusual embedding" which means automatic
finding needed source files and adding them to target sources.
This clearly does not belong to "antimake.mk", instead needs generic
target-rewriting hooks.

So I guess if it fits in with cleanup and generalization of existing
code, it can be done, but otherwise its better to avoid anything that
makes code even more complex.

--
marko