Re: dealing with executable shell scripts

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: dealing with executable shell scripts
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:33:08 -0700

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a recommended way for dealing with binaries that are simple
> shell scripts in automake?  I currently use something like the
> following:

>    bin_PROGRAMS = myprog

>    myprog_SOURCES = myprog.sh
>    myprog: myprog.sh

>    %: %.sh
>            $(shbin_verbose)cp $< $@; chmod +x $@

>    shbin_verbose = $(shbin_verbose_$(V))
>    shbin_verbose_ = $(shbin_verbose_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY))
>    shbin_verbose_0 = @echo "  SHBIN  " $@;

Are you sometimes doing something more complex than copying them?  Since
otherwise that seems rather pointless, compared to just:

    bin_PROGRAMS = myprog

and having the script just be named that and already be executable, which
is what I do with any exectuable shell scripts.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>