Re: dealing with executable shell scripts

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: dealing with executable shell scripts
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:10:06 -0700

Sorry I don't have time to do better than point you at:

 http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Scripts

and the way we use for NTP is a bit nastier, as we support installing
programs and scripts into configure-specified directories based on the
OS (for legacy reasons).  But I also do not use the "do_subst" trick
there; I name the files scriptname.in and let configure do the
substitutions for me, which means I pretty much only need bin_SCRIPTS in
the Makefile.am.  Since the "source" for the script is scriptname.in, I
don't have to wory about DIST issues.  I don't care about CLEAN issues,
either.  If I did I'd add ${bin_SCRIPTS} to CLEANFILES.