LINK determination

From: Jason DeVinney
Subject: LINK determination
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:32:51 -0400

Hi all,

I have a upc program with *.upc source files. I have some macros that
make UPC code look effectively like C code and so it is easy to
compile this program as a C program as well. My Makefile.am has the
following lines

bin_PROGRAMS = foo
common_sources = file1.upc file2.upc

if BUILD_UPC
 foo_LINK = $(UPCLINK)
 foo_SOURCES = $(common_sources)
else
 foo_LINK = $(LINK)
 foo_SOURCES = $(common_sources:.upc=_c.c)
fi

I also have some code in my Makefile.am to tell make how to create
(with links) the file1_c.c and file2_c.c files. The BUILD_UPC variable
is set with AC_SUBST in my configure.ac based on a configure option
(--disable-upc). If no option is given then BUILD_UPC is set to 1, but
if --disable-upc is given BUILD_UPC is zero. automake is correctly
automatically determining which compiler to use in both cases, but for
some reason it wants to use the UPCLINK linker in both cases. I read
section 8.13.3.1 How the Linker is Chosen, in the automake
documentation and it says that automake determines which linker to use
based on the foo_SOURCES variable, so I can't see why I need to
include the two foo_LINK lines in my Makefile.am (I would like to
avoid this). Does anyone know why this is happening? Am I forgetting
something?

Thank you,

Jason