Re: Automake 1.11.3b test release

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Automake 1.11.3b test release
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:54:54 +0200

Stefano Lattarini skrev 2012-03-25 16:46:
> We are pleased to announce the Automake 1.11.3b test release.
*snip*
> Please report bugs and problems to <address@hidden>, and send
> general comments and feedback to <address@hidden>.

On an up-to-date Cygwin 1.7 install, nothing unexpected.  It's just the
old problem with lzma.test that is worked around with

        export XZ_DEFAULTS=--memlimit=20MiB

And likewise on my MSYS/MinGW install with gcc, no FAILs with that export
in place.

But if I run with the following in the environment on MSYS:

        export CC='/home/peda/automake-1.11.3b/lib/compile cl -nologo'
        export CFLAGS=-MD
        export CXX='/home/peda/automake-1.11.3b/lib/compile cl -nologo'
        export CXXFLAGS=-MD
        export NM='dumpbin -symbols'
        export AR='/home/peda/automake-1.11.3b/lib/ar-lib lib'
        export STRIP=:
        export RANLIB=:

I do get a few FAILs:

        FAIL: depcomp3.test
        FAIL: libtool3.test
        FAIL: pr307.test
        FAIL: pr401b.test
        FAIL: silent-many-generic.test

I think all these FAILs are related to switching to gcc/g++ but keeping
CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, which is a well know problem which has been fixed on
the master branch.

If you are a bit more adventurous and run with the following in the
environment on MSYS

        export CC='cl -nologo'
        export CFLAGS=-MD
        export CXX='cl -nologo'
        export CXXFLAGS=-MD
        export NM='dumpbin -symbols'
        export AR=lib
        export STRIP=:
        export RANLIB=:

you get a few more FAILs

        FAIL: depcomp3.test                 (gcc/CFLAGS)
        FAIL: libtool3.test                 (gcc/CFLAGS)
        FAIL: pr300-ltlib.test              (needs AM_PROG_AR)
        FAIL: pr307.test                    (needs AM_PROG_AR)
        FAIL: pr401b.test                   (needs AM_PROG_AR)
        FAIL: silent-many-generic.test      (flex and <unistd.h>)
        FAIL: subobj9.test                  (see below)
        FAIL: yacc-dist-nobuild-subdir.test ($MAKE -e brings in $CC)

subobj9 fails in an interesting way.  The test requires g++ (but not gcc),
and then proceeds with CC=cl and CXX=g++.  But cl wants OBJEXT=obj while g++
wants OBJEXT=o, and g++ wins (it is tested later).  This results in various
unexpected outcomes in further configure tests and things go downhill from
there.  The actual non-zero return that causes the test to finally fail is
that 'lib' is used as the archiver without the ar-lib wrapper, which of
course bombs out.

The other tests fail for reasons we have covered on master. I think so
anyway?  So, all things considered, I think we're in pretty good shape.

Cheers,
Peter