Re: bug#11323: automake-1.11.4 regression

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: bug#11323: automake-1.11.4 regression
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:26:53 +0200

On 04/24/2012 11:04 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Let me elaborate. previously it was possible to do something of this kind:
>
> if FEATURE0
> mystatedir = $(pkglocalstatedir)
> mystate_DATA =
>
> if FEATURE01
> mystate_DATA += xxx
> endif
> if FEATURE02
> mystate_DATA += yyy
> endif
> endif

To obtain what exactly?  I can't understand your use case if you don't
explain me what you expect to obtain from the given input ...

> Now you are forcing devs to manually add rules to achieve the same effect.

Which effect?

> Worse, if automake on packages which have not been manually added such
> manually written rules, these package end up broken (e.g with build
> errors in Linux distro-buildsystems).

New versions of these package should adapt to the new automake behaviour
once (anf if) they upgrade from automake < 1.11.4 to automake >= 1.11.4.
And if you are re-bootstrapping an older version of these package (after
you've applied distro-specific patches I guess), you should be prepared
to use the same autotools versions they used in the corresponding release
tarball.

Regards,
  Stefano