specifying _LDADD and _CFLAGS for test codes

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: specifying _LDADD and _CFLAGS for test codes
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 17:46:21 -0500

Hi

I have some test codes that require pthread so inorder to ensure that
the appropriate flags are added to the build I have the following in
my Makefile.am

if PTHREAD
PTHREADPRGS = \
        TestLowLatencyData1 \
        TestLowLatencyData2 \
        TestLowLatencyData3
endif

if LALSUPPORT
check_PROGRAMS = \
        AggregationTest \
        FrameCacheTest \
        FrameDataTest \
        FrameStreamTest \
        MakeFrames \
        Read40mData \
        ReadGEOData \
        ReadLHOData \
        $(PTHEADPRGS)
TESTS = \
        FrameCacheTest.sh \
        FrameStreamTest \
        $(PTHREADPRGS)
endif

if PTHREAD
# FIXME: technically codes that link against libpthread need to build
# using the PTHREAD_CC compiler and not CC, this is only a different
# compiler on AIX

# set appropriate pthread flags
TestLowLatencyData1_LDADD = $(PTHREAD_LIBS)
TestLowLatencyData1_CFLAGS = $(PTHREAD_CFLAGS) $(AM_CFLAGS)
TestLowLatencyData2_LDADD = $(PTHREAD_LIBS)
TestLowLatencyData2_CFLAGS = $(PTHREAD_CFLAGS) $(AM_CFLAGS)
TestLowLatencyData3_LDADD = $(PTHREAD_LIBS)
TestLowLatencyData3_CFLAGS = $(PTHREAD_CFLAGS) $(AM_CFLAGS)
endif

However when processing this I receive the following warnings:

test/Makefile.am:43: warning: variable 'TestLowLatencyData1_LDADD' is
defined but no program or
test/Makefile.am:43: library has 'TestLowLatencyData1' as canonical
name (possible typo)
test/Makefile.am:45: warning: variable 'TestLowLatencyData2_LDADD' is
defined but no program or
test/Makefile.am:45: library has 'TestLowLatencyData2' as canonical
name (possible typo)
test/Makefile.am:47: warning: variable 'TestLowLatencyData3_LDADD' is
defined but no program or
test/Makefile.am:47: library has 'TestLowLatencyData3' as canonical
name (possible typo)

When I've seen a warning of this form before it's because the program
I'mn referring to isn't referred to in a _PROGRAMS, but that is the
case here. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Adam