automake 1.12 and AM_PROG_AR

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: automake 1.12 and AM_PROG_AR
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:52:53 +0200

Hi,

I have received patches similar to the one below for several of my
projects already, and I'm beginning to think there may be something that
could be improved in automake.  Why does automake 1.12 need something
that 1.11 doesn't even recognize?  Perhaps a smoother way to introduce
this behaviour is to let 1.12 automatically enable it?

Alternatively, is there some other way to address the warnings that is
better?  Does it indicate a real problem in my projects?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-libidn/2012-05/msg00000.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-libidn/2012-05/txtqAGOGgtPqj.txt

/Simon