Re: How to leave space for the lib path

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: How to leave space for the lib path
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:03:41 -0400

Hello bax77bax,

On 2012-05-16 09:39 -0700, baxy77bax wrote:
> I am learning to use automake tool to create my make files. and what i have
> seen from the examples on the net you can while creating the configure file
> somehow let some library paths unspecified and then specify them when
> running
>
> ./config --with-libget-prefix=/....

Common convention is for configure scripts to be named "configure", but
that is likely not related to your problem...

> Now when i create my Makefile.in and my configure.ac files and then build
> them:
>
> aclocal
> configure.ac:62: warning: macro `AM_PATH_LIBGET' not found in library

Here aclocal has detected a call to a macro called AM_PATH_LIBGET but
cannot find a definition for it.  First note that you should not define
macros starting with AM_ to avoid conflicts with Automake.  Regardless,
you probably just need to tell aclocal where to find your macro
definition, e.g. by passing an appropriate -I option to the tool.

> autoconfig

There is no "autoconfig" command as part of the GNU build system that
I'm aware of, so I'm afraid I cannot help you with this.

> i get the configuration script but no option to specify the path or the
> prefix to my libget library. Since I'm confused now please be patient with
> me. I have to figure this out quickly and that is why i'm rushing into this
> without first reading all the relevant literature.

Haste is not a prudent course of action when dealing with the sort of
problems that arise from working with computers.  Take your time.

If you still cannot solve your problem, please provide a complete,
small test case that demonstrates your issue, including *all* your
input (configure.ac, Makefile.am, etc.), explaining precisely how
the behaviour differs from what's expected.  It's also a good idea
to include which versions of autoconf and automake you are using.

Hope that helps,
--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)