Re: GNU Automake 1.12.1 released

From: tsuna
Subject: Re: GNU Automake 1.12.1 released
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 23:29:14 -0700

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Stefano Lattarini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> * Deprecated obsolescent features:
[…]
>   - The long-obsolete (since 1.10) automake-provided $(mkdir_p) make
>     variable, @mkdir_p@ configure-time substitution and AM_PROG_MKDIR
>     m4 macro are deprecated, eliciting a warning in the 'obsolete'
>     category.  They will be removed in the next major version (1.13).

What's the right way to portably use mkdir -p then?  Whether we like
it or not, there are still a lot of users out there with Automake
1.9.6, which had @mkdir_p@ but not @address@hidden  I received enough
complaints from them that 9 months ago I gave up and did a
s/MKDIR_P/mkdir_p/ on my Makefile.am's.  Now I'm starting to get bug
reports about $(mkdir_p) expanding to nothing.

Am I expected to add my own compatibility layer through some
configure.ac hackery?  I wish I could ignore people using obsolete
software, but there's just too many of them, especially thanks to
RedHat / CentOS.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com