Re: [Automake] How to get debug symbols in the executable?

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake] How to get debug symbols in the executable?
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:02:21 +0200

On 08/04/2012 07:10 PM, Marcelo Zimbres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some trouble to debug programs built from autotools. I am
> following the steps:
>
> $ ./configure CXXFLAGS="-g -O0"
> $ make
> $ libtool --mode=execute gdb --arg ./swat_find arg_list
>
> When I run the last line, I get the error message:
>
> Reading symbols from
> /home/marcelo/Public/swat/debug/.libs/lt-swat_find...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done.
>
> Why there are no symbols? The output of make shows the flags have been
> passed to gcc, for example:
>
> libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include/root
> -I/usr/local/include/root -I -I -g -O0 -MT libswat_la-TDKernel.lo -MD -MP
> -MF .deps/libswat_la-TDKernel.Tpo -c ../TDKernel.cxx -o
> libswat_la-TDKernel.o >/dev/null 2>&1

So this is unlikely to be a problem with Automake (as the flags specified
at configure time have been passed correctly to the libtool invocation at
make runtime, as you noted).  Thus I suggest you try to report your issue
to the libtool list instead, to see if they have more ideas.  So save you
time, I've already CC:ed the libtool list in this reply.

> I couldn't also find the -s option which would discard the symbols. Can
> someone help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcelo
>
> ps. I am using automake version 1.11.3

And, for completeness, what autoconf and libtool versions?

Regards,
  Stefano