Re: Using convenience libraries with non-recursive make

From: Del Merritt
Subject: Re: Using convenience libraries with non-recursive make
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:49:40 -0400

On 08/15/2012 03:16 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
On 15/08/2012 08:26, Del Merritt wrote:
    nodist_EXTRA_libmyprog_la_SOURCES = dummy.cxx
I would bet that this one is giving you trouble, but...

I was using that on a hint from the automake manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Libtool-Convenience-Libraries.html#Libtool-Convenience-Libraries

Is that a known problem?

why are you using multiple convenience libraries? If you're not going to
install any of them, and the result is one final binary, you should just
list all the sources to that one target.

All good questions; mostly because I am not completely sure yet that a) I won't want to be able to install the sub-libraries later, b) my hand-built makefiles do it this way already, so I was minimizing change, and c) this is my first run creating an autoconfiscated project.

Oh, and d) when I try to do a "make dist" with my thousands of source files, I was met with a "command line too long" error. So I was trying to keep things in smaller chunks to see if that would help all of the make targets work better.

Thanks,
-Del

This also helps if you change
some of the source files as it only needs to re-perform the final link
step instead of having to do one or more ar calls.

And I somehow doubt you want to use lib_LTLIBRARIES given the name
(which will install the libraries as well).