Re: [Automake-NG] Automake vs. Automake-NG

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] Automake vs. Automake-NG
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:36:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Maybe we just need good PR and "advertisment" in this.  The python
developers has managed to make a 3.0 release incompatible with the 2.x
series, because they've been very clear and vocal about the breakage,
and have been for a long time.  We might need to learn from them here,
and maybe we'll succeed.  Any suggestion?

It is not clear that there is any significant use of Python 3 at all.

It is easier to create an subtly incompatible version with more features but difficult to get users to transition to it when older versions are working "fine" and are still supported.

This discussion thread has really gotten out of hand. Why has it spilled onto two more discussion lists (automake and help-smalltalk)? If it had been held only on the automake list then there would be less harm to the free software world since everyone on the automake-ng list is surely already on the automake list.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn