Re: Pre-built binary package

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Pre-built binary package
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:11:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Linux is not a platform that easily accomodates installable binary blobs.

While you provided lots of good advice, in my experience it is possible to provide binaries which do run on most x86 GNU/Linux systems. Typically such binaries are built on a somewhat older ("stable") systems and don't depend on many OS-provided shared libraries.

It is of course necessary to test on common systems to make sure that the binaries do indeed work.

If an AMD64 Linux distribution does not provide 32-bit libraries by default, they can still usually be installed by the user using the normal package manager.

My experience is primarily as a user of such binaries.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn