Nested packages

From: Gallagher James
Subject: Nested packages
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:50:25 -0600

I have some nested packages that are optionally built by my code. For these
nested packages, I would like to configure, compile and install (in a prefix my
package sets) them before my main package compiles. I'm familiar with
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and using SUBDIRS to build nested packages, but it's getting
these nested packages to _both_ build and install before the main package
builds that I can't figure out. I want the packages to install because they
have includes and libraries spread over several directories. Does anyone know
how to do this?

As a work around, I'm running the (optional) build and install from inside the
main package's configure. I could also set CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS as a
long list of -I and -L options...

A related question: How can I pass different options to the nested package's
configure scripts? By setting $ac_configure_args? I want to do this so that
nested packages can build as static libraries compiled using position
independent code.

Thanks,
James
--