Re: Launch bash script for functional testing with "make check" and "mak

From: Timothée Flutre
Subject: Re: Launch bash script for functional testing with "make check" and "make distcheck"
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:57:49 -0600

I updated M4, Autoconf and Automake to their latest version. In
Makefile.am, I'm added only this:

AM_TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = \
        myprog_abspath='$(abs_srcdir)'/../src/myprog; \
        export myprog_abspath;

And now "make check" works! However, "make distcheck" doesn't. This is due
to the fact that, for "make distcheck", the variable $(abs_srcdir) points
to ~/mypkg/mypkg-1.0/_build/../test/ while I'd like it to point to
~/mypkg/mypkg-1.0/_build/test/.

I also tried with this:

AM_TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = \
        myprog_abspath='$(abs_top_srcdir)'/src/myprog; \
        export myprog_abspath;

"make check" still works but "make distchek" doesn't because
$(abs_top_srcdir) now points to ~/mypkg/mypkg-1.0/_build/../ while I want
it to point to ~/mypkg/mypkg-1.0/_build/.

To summarize, when using "make distcheck", "myprog" is not in
~/mypkg/mypkg-1.0/src/ but in ~/mypkg/mypkg-1.0/_build/src/. I don't
understand the rationale underlying this behavior. Why does "distcheck"
need to create _build? Any idea on how to solve my problem?

BTW I had a look at the code of Coreutils here,
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/, but can't see any
Makefile.am.

Thanks already for all your advice,
Tim