Re: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:51:52 +0100

On 01/16/2013 06:12 PM, Brandon Black wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Brandon Black <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> There doesn't seem to be a way to set up my configure.ac such that my
>>> tests
>>>  > will run in serial mode on both older and newer versions of automake
>>>

> Just FYI, for anyone else running into similar issues, I realized the
> obvious workaround this morning: don't use the automake test harness stuff
> at all and just execute your testrunner with a "check-local" rule.

If you only have a test runner which controls all your tests, I think this
is indeed the best strategy.  The Automake test harness is meant to help you
manage your test execution, re-execution, logging and inter-dependencies; if
you don't need those features, or have implemented them yourself in another
way, you don't need the Automake harness (it would probably just get in the
way).

> You can still use check_PROGRAMS to build stuff before check-local runs.

Exactly.

>  [SNIP]

Regards,
  Stefano