Re: Using AM_CONDITIONAL in m4 macros

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Using AM_CONDITIONAL in m4 macros
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:16:27 -0500

On 2013-01-18 16:49 +0100, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> I have come across a package where autoreconf doesn't work out of the box.
> The reason is that it calls a m4 macro that contains an AM_CONDITIONAL which
> is later tested in Makefile.am.
> This seemingly works when running the autogen.sh script included in the
> package that calls the autotools. Calling autoreconf only works if the macro
> file is explicitly included (via m4_include).
>
> So my question is, if there is a way to have this working  without the
> explicit inclusion.

If the package author(s) provided a script to bootstrap the build
system, then you should use that script.  Someone made the effort to
write that script, and they presumably did not do so for no reason.

You say that the provided script works, so that implies that a plain
autoreconf is not the correct way to bootstrap this package.

If you think this is a bug or limitation in autoreconf, could you
provide a small example package which demonstrates the problem?  I am
not aware of any problems like this related to AM_CONDITIONAL inside m4
macros.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)