Re: combined report for make check?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: combined report for make check?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:22:47 +0900

Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden> writes:
> The best solution is on the user-side IMHO: fix the build system to
> use less (ideally none) make recursion.  Both the parallel and serial
> testsuite harness should support that setup OOTB.

It would be nice if automake had some more features for that...

E.g., if I have a directory "foo" that has sources etc, and builds
some specific targets, then I can isolate the automake stuff for foo
by using an include file "foo/Makefile.am.inc" or something, and then
putting an appropriate include in the top-level Makefile.am.

But it's a bit annoying, in that AFAICT, all filenames, etc, in foo's
Makefile fragment must explicitly include the directory name.

E.g., if it builds a library, "foo/Makefile.am.inc" might look like:

   libfoo_a_SOURCES = foo/oink.c foo/barf.c foo/barf.h ...

For longish directory names, this can really bloat things up...

It would be really cool if there was some way of telling automake
"hey, for every filename mentioned in this file, try to use a prefix
of ..."

I dunno whether that would be associated with the include
directive, with the makefile fragment, or what, but... anyway.

Does automake have some feature like this that I've missed?  Or has
anybody thought about it?

Thanks,

-miles

--