Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:25:45 +0900

2013/2/12 Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden>:
>>> But what if we want to have multiple betas for, say, Automake 1.14?  Today,
>>> we can just have 1.13b, 1.13d, 1.13f, ...; how can we do so with the scheme
>>> you are proposing?
>>
>> There's always 1.14.0.1, ...
>>
> Yuck; the new versioning scheme is done exactly to avoid that kind
> of overly long version numbers

Well, I agree in general that too many components is yucky, but keep
in mind that these _aren't releases_, so assigning them "awkward"
version numbers doesn't really seem all that annoying.  These really
aren't part of the historical record.  The existing naming scheme for
betas does the same thing (uses "weird" version numbers), but is
problematic because it's not mechanically consistent with "ordinary"
version numbers (and so screws up cases such as packaging software).

I do agree that removing the leading "1." might be a good idea if it's
meaningless in practice.  Linux's similar action was good.

-miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.