Re: distclean should walk subdirs in reverse order

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: distclean should walk subdirs in reverse order
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 18:15:58 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Harlan Stenn wrote:

I'm not suggesting a single flat file for a non-recursive Makefile
situation.

I'm expecting there to be one Makefile in each directory.

I'd also almost expect that the Makfile in each (build) directory would
"call up" to the top-level Makefile with enough information to build the
desired target.

I'd also expect that the top-level Makefile would "source in" enough
information from a file in each subdir (possibly not the Makefile) to
figure out the entire dependency and build situation.

All of this can be accomplished with Automake but you will need to add the 'call up' plain Makefiles yourself to request building only the targets corresponding to that part of the tree.

As a non-recursive Automake user for many years, I would never go back. I have not bothered with the 'per target' Makefiles because the build system is much smarter now and it only builds the parts which need to be rebuilt. If more gets built than absolutely necessary for the current task, it is not a problem because I use 'make -j 18' and the optimized debuggable build completes so quickly (< 10 seconds for whole thing) that I don't care. Before, quite a few seconds were wasted accomplishing nothing useful at all.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn