Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:49:12 +0900

The current _user-interface_ ("./configure ...ARGS...; make") also has
the advantage of making it pretty clear where one specifies
configuration options, and retaining those options during normal
rebuilds.

With a "make-only" approach, where do I specify configuration options?
"make OPT1=yes ..."?  If so, do I need to re-specify those arguments
every time I invoke make?  If not (if they're somehow magically
recorded somewhere), do options specified to different make
invocations accumulate?  If so, how do I reset them?  ...etc etc...

The configure/build split actually seems pretty useful...

[Having a way of making a "default" configure happen automatically if
one just does make without configure would be useful, I suppose, but
that probably just needs a trivial little Makefile which get
overwritten by configure.]

-miles

--
Omochiroi!