Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake

From: Marko Kreen
Subject: Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:50:07 +0300

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:10:44AM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> In the long run I'd like to see creating and running a build system to be
> as simple as doing something like
>
> $ echo >Makefile.am <<END
> bin_PROGRAMS = hello
> hello_SOURCES = hello.c beetroot.h rhubarb.h second.c
> END
> $ automake
> $ make

Alternative way of simplification that is working well
for my own projects is "Makefile.am is Makefile":

  $ wget https://raw.github.com/libusual/antimake/master/antimake.mk
  $ cat > Makefile <<EOF
  bin_PROGRAMS = hello
  hello_SOURCES = hello.c
  include antimake.mk
  EOF
  $ echo 'int main() { return 0; }' > hello.c
  $ make

Note - autoconf integration is available, but optional.  So above
sequence is really all that is needed to build.

Intro: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2012-03/msg00003.html
Dedicated repo:  https://github.com/libusual/antimake

Changes since last year:
* C++ support moved out from core to extension.
* Experimental MSVC toolchain support (mainly to test core code
  portability).
* Real-life testing via pgbouncer project.  Only few minor problems
  have surfaced.
* 'modes' extension, based on idea from Sam Varshavchik:
  https://github.com/libusual/antimake/blob/master/amext-modes.mk

--
marko