Re: Put GNU build system files in a subdirectory?

From: Fabrício Zimmerer Murta
Subject: Re: Put GNU build system files in a subdirectory?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:11:17 -0300

would it be too naive of my part to think that you could leave everything on the GNUbuild/ directory and pointing to ../src?

I like to have the configure script on the root of the package and I assume this organization you want would be of a specific package not meant to follow general 'open source' format, so you could even make use of nested packages (if the above solution is ugly or does not work) and point a sub-package as ../src (and have other configure.ac into there, what would be undesirable and sounds senseless for default format packages).

But if the idea is have a little extra effort to make users life easier (trying do hide unneeded files from the user or keeping them on a separate directory) that might be a try.

Of course this is always abandoning the standartization GNU Build system uses yet benefitting of the portability GNU Build system grants...

the generic cd <packdir>; ./configure; make all install is what I expect from a 'generic' GNU Build system-capable pack.

Well, just trying to give some ideas without having to change the whole stuff, I might be very wrong and I do not mean any offense to anyone.

- Fabricio

By the way, as far as the README file on the root is very clear and objective on the requirements, and that they actually work, I think packagers wouldn't have hard days integrating the package into a given distribution. So, just assure the building process is not too complex and fixing things related to it does not require ninjas... :) I think iptraf does not use GNU build system... not at the 'regular' way.

-----Original Message----- From: Andy Tai