Re: Is there a way to tell automake to not include rules for building .p

From: Rick Jones
Subject: Re: Is there a way to tell automake to not include rules for building .ps files from a .texi?
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 11:53:34 -0700

On 05/01/2013 10:54 AM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
On 05/01/2013 06:47 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
Why is a good question.  I am the messenger in this case.  I'm not sure
that the .ps actually makes successfully for the netperf manual, but I
do not know that to be the reason for the request.

Ah, OK.  We don't shoot the messenger ;-)

Well, that's no fun for you :)

Indeed, a "make netperf.ps" fails - there are a boatload of messages
about over and underful hboxes, and the end is:

Transcript written on netperf.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: no such file or directory: netperf.dvi
make: *** [netperf.dvi] Error 1

Stop, this is saying that the building of the *DVI* itself has failed.
(Then of course one won't be able to build the PostScript: that is
generated from the DVI...).  My guess is that this isn't an automake
issue, but a texi2dvi one --- I don't know whether due to a bug in
texi2dvi or in the netperf's texinfo files.

Given that I find texinfo to be black magic (I update the netperf manual maybe a couple times a year at most) the latter is entirely possible.

And there is another thing to consider: Automake 1.13 has removed support
for any makeinfo/texi2dvi older than 4.9.  If you are using a Makefile
generated by Automake 1.13.x with a texi2dvi < 4.9, you might be out of
luck.

I guess a DVI file is not required for PDF since that has no failures reported. Anyway, what I have is whatever Ubuntu provides in 12.04:

address@hidden:~$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.11.3
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>

Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>