Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 07:17:49 +0900

Marko Kreen <address@hidden> writes:
> IMHO, building via "portable makefiles" is bad idea.  For quite simple
> reason - user rules.  Yes, you can create some default targets that are
> generated for user, portably.  But as soon as user needs to write own
> rules or even write logic in makefile, then what?

It depends.  automake passes through user rules, but automake takes
care of 99% of the really hairy stuff which might ordinarily tempt one
to use non-portable constructs.

My experience adding custom make rules to Makefile.am (which AFAICT,
mostly just passes them through) is that I typically don't need to use
obscure features, mostly it's just bog-standard make rules with some
shell-scripting in the build recipe.

-miles

--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo