Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake

From: Marko Kreen
Subject: Re: Creating plain Makefiles with automake
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 11:46:55 +0300

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 07:17:49AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> My experience adding custom make rules to Makefile.am (which AFAICT,
> mostly just passes them through) is that I typically don't need to use
> obscure features, mostly it's just bog-standard make rules with some
> shell-scripting in the build recipe.

Well, user might want few of following features for own rules:
- out-of-tree builds
- cross-compilation
- nice output
- automatic deps

otherwise user's own rules don't match Automake's.

Ofcourse, that means it's up to user to deal with the complexity,
but is it actually possible to care about "portable make" while
doing that?

"Please don't look into your Make's manual while writing your rules."

I think normal answer is to say "Use GNU Make to build my project".
But what is the point of current Automake's complex multi-stage
build process then?

--
marko