Broken install-data-yes target

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Broken install-data-yes target
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:37:10 -0700

Hey list,

My make install target for my autotool'd project's translations
directory has a number of prerequisites. The one which seems to be
causing trouble is the install-data-yes target. Yes, I am aware the path
I am using contains spaces and yes I am aware that makefiles can choke
on it if not properly dealt with (e.g. escaped). From the final
generated Makefile...

install-data-yes: all
        @catalogs='$(CATALOGS)'; \
        for cat in $$catalogs; do \
          cat=`basename $$cat`; \
          lang=`echo $$cat | sed -e 's/\.gmo$$//'`; \
          dir=$(localedir)/$$lang/LC_MESSAGES; \
          $(mkdir_p) $(DESTDIR)$$dir; \

The second to last line seems to be causing problems.

$ pwd
~/Projects/Avaneya/Extras/Viking Lander Remastered/Extractor/Translations

$ make install --debug

        Must remake target `install-data-yes'.
        /bin/sh: 5: Lander: not found
        /bin/mkdir: missing operand
        Try '/bin/mkdir --help' for more information.
        /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
        ‘/viking-extractor.mo’: Permission denied

The project's Makefile.am is here:

<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~avaneya/avaneya/trunk/view/head:/Extras/Viking%20Lander%20Remastered/Extractor/Makefile.am>

Any help appreciated on solving the spaces in path problem. Just assume
that renaming the directory is not an option at this point.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred