Re: The deprecated/undeprecated macros and variables

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: The deprecated/undeprecated macros and variables
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:05:47 +0200

On 06/22/2013 12:42 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Diego.

> Stefano what is the current situation/plan for the stuff that was
> deprecated

Alas, it wasn't deprecated, but abruptly removed.  That was the
real problem.  The deprecations are still there, but are non-fatal
warnings instead of hard errors now.

> and then undeprecated between automake 1.13 and 1.14?

It's still deprecated, but no longer planned to be removed.  The
exception is support for 'configure.in', that will be indeed be
removed in Automake 2.0 (the name 'configure.ac' should be used
instead).  For the (I hope!) complete list of planned future
removals and backward incompatibilities, you should read the NEWS
section titled "* WARNING: Future backward-incompatibilities!"
(as present in the NEWS file for Automake 1.14).

> I refer in particular to AM_PROG_MKDIR_P, AM_PROG_CC_STDC and
> AM_CONFIG_HEADER macros, and the INCLUDES variable.

All planned to remain in place (albeit with proper deprecation
warnings).

> Are they planned for removal in 2.0 now?

Nope.  An anyway, after the last time fiasco, before scheduling
a new removal of obsolete stuff, I'll consult with you distro
packagers well in advance.

HTH,
  Stefano