Re: problem with subdir-objects and not found .Plo files when migrating

From: Diego Elio Pettenò
Subject: Re: problem with subdir-objects and not found .Plo files when migrating to 1.14
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:53:26 +0100

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan <address@hidden
> wrote:

> I wonder why the authors of automake would try to restrict different and
> actually valid usage scenarios? I've been using this setup for over 5 years
> in different projects, I'd be really disappointed if I had to switch to a
> setup that is much more inconvenient for me.

Because trying to be clever and special with build systems is a bad way to
make a build system. Distributions will dislike you and it's much less
likely that they'd like to package your software.

If I were to find any problem with the build system of your project, I
would stop looking the moment I find the silly "build" directory, and
decide that it's not worth packaging at all.

Don't be special, don't be clever. Use out-of-tree build if you want and
behave consistently with other projects.

Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
address@hidden — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/