Re: Issues with subdir-objects and differing versions of automake

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Issues with subdir-objects and differing versions of automake
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:50:44 +0100

Hi Miles.

On 08/29/2013 06:02 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
Diego Elio Pettenò <address@hidden> writes:
I would also argue for just using non-recursive automake, but it might be
the least of your problems for now.

"Just" is probably not the right term, as it generally seems to
require more work to make a good non-recursive build setup with
automake, even if it's functionally superior in the long run.

Automake's support for the recursive style is pretty good, whereas
it's support for non-recursive subdirs is at best, kind of sketchy...

Care to elaborate?  It seems to me that the situation there has improved
a lot in the recent years, to the point that recursive and non-recursive
build support is almost on-par (and the non-recursive option is the
recommended one).  Or are you referring to documentation issues rather
the coding/design ones?

Thanks,
  Stefano