RE: Problem with circular dependencies

From: Xochitl Lunde
Subject: RE: Problem with circular dependencies
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:38:22 +0000

On Sep 16, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Nate Bargmann <address@hidden> wrote:

>> * On 2013 15 Sep 13:18 -0500, Jules Colding wrote:
>
>>> So, how do I tell the top-level Makefile.am that it should traverse all
>>> sub-directories building only the libraries, and then traverse the
>>> sub-directories again building only the test applications?
>
>> Would it work to break the test programs into their own subdirectory and
>> write the Makefile.am as needed?

>Yes, that would work. I just wanted to keep each test program together with
>the code which is tested.

>Anyways, thanks for the advises. I'll read the paper on evil recursiveness and
>ponder what to do.

>Thanks,
>  jules

Is there any reason that the two libraries have to be compiled as two separate
libraries if they depend on each other? You can also have Make create just one
library out of the files in the two directories. You can keep the code
organized in the structure, but that doesn't mean you can't build it all
together into one thing.

Or, if you switch to shared libraries, maybe you can use a linker flag if it's
supported, such as '-undefined dynamic_lookup' so that the symbols will only be
resolved when the test program runs.  That only works if you are not running
the tests as soon as they are built, because you need both libraries to be
already built to run.

Best Regards,
Xochitl

 This message is for the addressee's use only. It may contain confidential
information. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify
the sender. Tripp Lite disclaims all warranties and liabilities, and assumes no
responsibility for viruses which may infect an email sent to you from Tripp
Lite and which damage your electronic systems or information. It is your
responsibility to maintain virus detection systems to prevent damage to your
electronic systems and information.