only installing shared versions of some libs

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: only installing shared versions of some libs
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:47:59 +0100

I've recently adapted a project to support DSO plugins/modules

The existing project includes normal libraries and binaries.  In a
normal build, we want to

a) build and install the shared and static versions of the normal libraries

b) only install the shared versions of the plugins

I don't mind whether static versions of the plugins are built (we don't
currently use them) but I would prefer that "make install" does not
install them

Can anybody comment on the best way to do this?  The Makefile.am is
linked from here (repro/plugins/example/Makefile.am):

http://list.resiprocate.org/archive/resiprocate-commit/msg07875.html