perl modules

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: perl modules
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:06:04 +0000

So I've read the thread that ends with
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2011-12/msg00020.html .

I can make a choice about what to use for pmdir.

As part of the build and check process I want to run a generated perl
script that needs a module that I'll also be installing.  This means
that the module we want to use might not be installed, or the installed
copy might be an old copy.  We'll need to run the script in the build
tree and have it pick up the module we'll be installing.

I could use the PERL5LIB envariable and export that in the buld
Makefiles.  I'm not sure this will always work, but I just have an
intuitive concern about this.

I don't think I can use -I parameters to fix this because it would
require modifying the generated scripts.

I'm hesitant to

 use lib "..."

or

 BEGIN { unshift @INC ... }

to add the pre-installation directories in addition to the expected
installation directories because those might open holes with the
installed scripts.

There is also the separate issue of people changing the PMDIR location
on the "make install" invocation, but I'm OK solving this problem later.

Suggestions?

--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!