Re: Can't include SQLite libs in compile

From: Jordan H.
Subject: Re: Can't include SQLite libs in compile
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 14:55:35 -0800

Here's the full Makefile.am (myprog is the name of my program):

    bin_PROGRAMS = myprog
    myprog_SOURCES = main.c main.h database.c database.h exec_button.c
exec_button.h
    myprog_CFLAGS = $(GTK_CFLAGS)
    myprog_CFLAGS += $(GMODULE_CFLAGS)
    myprog_CFLAGS += $(SQLITE_CFLAGS)
    myprog_CFLAGS += `pkg-config --cflags sqlite3 gmodule-2.0`
    myprog_LDADD = $(GTK_LIBS)
    myprog_LDADD += $(SQLITE_LIBS)
    myprog_LDADD += $(GMODULE_LIBS)
    myprog_LDFLAGS = `pkg-config --libs sqlite3 gmodule-2.0`
    myprog_LDFLAGS += -Wl,-export-dynamic

GMODULE was added and seems to ail from the same problems as SQLITE
(though, in this case, the program compiles, but I get a lot of errors
saying event handlers couldn't be found -- as one would expect if they
don't link glib with a gtk+ program).

So, in this case...

    bin_PROGRAMS = myprog
    myprog_SOURCES = main.c main.h database.c database.h exec_button.c
exec_button.h
    myprog_CFLAGS = $(GTK_CFLAGS)
    myprog_CFLAGS += $(GMODULE_CFLAGS)
    myprog_CFLAGS += $(SQLITE_CFLAGS)
    myprog_LDADD = $(GTK_LIBS)
    myprog_LDADD += $(SQLITE_LIBS)
    myprog_LDADD += $(GMODULE_LIBS)
    myprog_LDFLAGS += -Wl,-export-dynamic

...I get compile errors for sqlite. If I add in the lines...

    myprog_CFLAGS += `pkg-config --cflags sqlite3`
    myprog_LDFLAGS = `pkg-config --libs sqlite3`

...but leave out `pkg-config ... glib-2.0` I get errors like the following:

    Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler blah_blah_blah()

...which is what I should expect from not linking glib

I also don't see a pkg.m4 file (I'm assuming it's a file, and that it's
not generated by autoreconf).

I apologize if I sound like a newbie. Still trying to wrap my head
around automake... Thanks for all your help.

Diego Elio Pettenò:

<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

>     Makefile.am:
>
>         program_CFLAGS += @SQLITE_CFLAGS@
>         program_LDADD += @SQLITE_LIBS@
>

> First you should not need to use AC_SUBST() for these variables at all
if you have the right pkg.m4.

> Second, can you please post the full Makefile.am? If you haven't
defined program_LDADD and program_CFLAGS before using += they are not
going to work.

> Third, you want to use $(SQLITE_CFLAGS) rather than the @@ replacement.
>
> A bit of documentation for PKG_CHECK_MODULES can be found on my
Autotools Mythbuster:
https://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythbuster/pkgconfig/pkg_check_modules.html

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/