Re: building tools during a cross-compilation

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: building tools during a cross-compilation
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:52:27 +0100

On 01/29/2014 06:10 AM, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:
I've just set up a Makefile.am for a package I'm working on, and it's going
pretty well, but I've hit a snag with cross-compilation...

This package installs a binary and a resource file. That resource file is
build with a special tool that is build by the Makefile.am. When I
cross-compile, it works well for the main binary (very easy, great job!),
but it builds the tool binary for the --host platform, rather than the
--build, so the resource file cannot be built.

What's the best way to go at this? Thanks in advance!

I guess you're simply confused about the --build/--host naming conventions.

--host ... the platform your binaries are targeting.
--build ... the platform you are running your build-tools on.

i.e. if you are using a cross-toolchain, which is complying to the gnu-canonicalization conventions (Native tools without prefix, cross-tools with <host>-prefix),

configure --host=arm-eabi
will cross-build for a target named arm-eabi, producing binaries for arm-eabi.

--build usually is only needed if you're using some weird host system or when Canadian-cross building.