Re: stripping directory component from installation file pathname

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: stripping directory component from installation file pathname
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:34:05 +0100

On 02/24/2014 10:01 AM, Marco Maggi wrote:
Ciao,

   I am moving  a package that compiles many  source files to
many binary  files, from "one Makefile.am  per subdirectory"
to a  single top level  Makefile.am.  Most of the  thing has
gone fine (excluding the tedium of rechecking all the search
paths).

   This  transition has  introduced  a  problem, though;  the
package takes source files:

     $(srcdir)/lib/stuff/alpha.sls
     $(srcdir)/lib/stuff/beta.sls

and compiles them to:

     $(builddir)/lib/stuff/alpha.fasl
     $(builddir)/lib/stuff/beta.fasl

everything  was  fine  before  with  a  Makefile.am  in  the
$(srcdir)/lib directory:  the files were listed  without the
"lib" component.  Now I list the files as:

     nobase_nodist_bundledlibs_DATA = \
        lib/stuff/alpha.fasl \
        lib/stuff/beta.fasl

and I  see no way  strip only  the "lib" component  from the
installation  destination.   The  package  distributes  many
files, in many subdirectories: I am  not eager to put in the
Makefile.am a set of variables for every subdirectory.

   Has someone found a workaround?

Do I understand correctly, your issue is installation dirs?

In that case you can try to use a separate installation-dir variable. something along the lines of:

mystuffdir =$(datadir)/stuff

datadir_stuff_DATA = lib/stuff/alpha.fasl