Re: What would the correct way be to handle a program with a PID file be

From: Michael Lueck
Subject: Re: What would the correct way be to handle a program with a PID file being built to a prefix directory?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:46:09 -0400

Greetings Gavin and Eric,

So with the present stable autoconf localstatedir would be the build variable to interrogate, correct? Interrogate in order to select the correct logic path when building the PID file fully qualified filespec. Or would it be safe to just append the ${localstatedir} to the PID file path always, and only when a prefix build option is specified would the path be prefixed?

I come with a fairly good understanding of building with prefix, though lack
the C/C++ skills, while the core developers of this project seem simply not to
understand the prefix concept.

Perhaps can you think of an OSS/FS project which uses a PID file and supports prefix and I could review said code to gain a better understanding of what an application looks like which supports both characteristics?

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems