How to run TESTS automatically on each source code change?

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: How to run TESTS automatically on each source code change?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:48:27 +0200

Hi,

I have a test that generates a log file, which I can manually run via
"make check". Is there a simple way to automate that? For the moment I
just created a pragmatic target "autotest", but I think it is ugly
(and too specific).

Any pointers appreciated!

Regards,
Steffen

autotest:
        @echo "Will run \`make check' after each change, stop with INT." ; \
        while true ; do \
          if ! make --question -s -j4 testrunner ; then \
            echo "Rechecking..." ; \
              make -s check || { \
                echo "failed to run `date`" >> testrunner.log ; \
              } ; \
          fi ; \
          sleep 1 ; \
        done