Using $(variables) in source file list

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Using $(variables) in source file list
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 20:05:00 +0300

Hello automakers!

I'm using autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.11.6 (Debian 7 stable). Recently I tried
defining the source code folder name using a variable and strange things happen.
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or my mistake. Here's the revelant part
from Makefile.am, before the change, which *does* work:

        lib_LTLIBRARIES = libsgp.la

        libsgp_la_SOURCES = \
                src/Command.cpp      \
                src/CommandStack.cpp

Now, the change I made is here below. The result is that .Plo files are created
under $(src)/.deps instead of src/.deps, and then the code that uses them fails
to find them and `make` failes.

        src = src

        lib_LTLIBRARIES = libsgp.la

        libsgp_la_SOURCES = \
                $(src)/Command.cpp      \
                $(src)/CommandStack.cpp

The following change surprisingly causes `make` to succeed, but the .Plo files
are still created in the wrong place. I don't mind having a folder named $(src)
literally, but it's not the intended behavior.

        code = src
        src = $(code)

        lib_LTLIBRARIES = libsgp.la

        libsgp_la_SOURCES = \
                $(src)/Command.cpp      \
                $(src)/CommandStack.cpp

I also tried using

        src := src

but the result was the same.

Why does it happen? Is this a known problem? I didn't find any material on
the web. Of course I can move the definition of "src" to configure.ac, but I'd
like to know what I'm missing (or is it a bug).

If you use OpenNIC, the code can be browsed (and cloned of course) at
http://git.partager.null/sgp-dox.git.

-- fr33