Re: Automake extension mechanism?

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: Automake extension mechanism?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:10:44 +1000

On 22/08/14 10:55, David Ventimiglia wrote:
Hi,

Does Automake provide any kind of extension mechanism so that one can
produce, and possibly share, useful Makefile fragments?

Hi David,

What I've chosen to do is to write autoconf macros that generate these Automake fragments, so all I need to do as user is to call the macro in 'configure.ac' and include the fragment file in my 'Makefile.am'. The real benefit of that is when the macro has been modified and aclocal will take care of updating the macro in each project and the automake fragments are re-generated. An example of this idea you can see in macro YAT_SVN_REVISION found here http://dev.thep.lu.se/yat/svn/trunk/m4/yat_am_macros.m4

Cheers,
Peter