[NEWBIE] How do you make a library w/libtool

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: [NEWBIE] How do you make a library w/libtool
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 05:50:03 -0700

I've successfully made a executable version of my software and am trying to
make a library, right now as a UNIX library and soon using libtool for a
dynamic library. The static library does not work and I don't see an error
message. It seems to configure correctly (using autoreconf) but no *.gz file
is generated. I can't figure what's wrong and can't go to generating a
dynamic library until I do.

The makefil.am is:

AM_CXXFLAGS=-std=gnu++11 -Wall -Wno-reorder -Wno-unused-value -Wno-address
-Wno-sequence-point  -c -g  -MMD -MP -MF

lib_LIBRARIES     = libslip.a
libslip_a_SOURCES = ${sources} ${privateHeaders}
pkginclude_HEADERS   = ${publicheaders}