RE: [NEWBIE] How do you make a library w/libtool

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: RE: [NEWBIE] How do you make a library w/libtool
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 13:29:50 -0700

Thanks!!!

  _____

From: Diego Elio Pettenò [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2014 11:10 AM
To: Arthur Schwarz
Cc: address@hidden

I think you're definitely misunderstanding how the tools fit together.

Only `make dist` will generate a `.tar.gz` distribution of your sources, not
`autoreconf` at all.

Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
address@hidden — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

On 7 September 2014 00:06, Arthur Schwarz <address@hidden> wrote:

Diego;

Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
address@hidden — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

On 6 September 2014 13:50, Arthur Schwarz <address@hidden> wrote:
I've successfully made a executable version of my software and am trying to
make a library, right now as a UNIX library and soon using libtool for a
dynamic library. The static library does not work and I don't see an error
message. It seems to configure correctly (using autoreconf) but no *.gz file
is generated. I can't figure what's wrong and can't go to generating a
dynamic library until I do.

Why are you expecting a .gz file at all?

Good question. What I’m using the auto tools for is to generate an
exportable configuration compatible with GNU. My assumption is that
autoreconf will generate a *.gz file if there are no errors. This seems to
work when I create an 'executable' configuration and seems not to work when
I create a library. When the library version works I intend to use libtools.

If my understanding is wrong could you provide guidance?